The Perfect Pumpkin-Less Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes
Tuesday 2nd October 2018 - Saffron
Perfect Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes Recipe
Did you know there’s no pumpkin in pumpkin spice??
Well did you? I didn’t!
For a few years now people have been excited about it being pumpkin spice season, eagerly awaiting the moment their favourite autumn flavours are available again but not me… I don’t like pumpkin so have never tried anything pumpkin spiced!
Imagine my surprise when chatting to my friend over lattes (hers was pumpkin spiced!) she changes my life forever by declaring pumpkin spice PUMPKIN FREE!!
It makes perfect sense when you think about it, who would really drink a coffee with pumpkin in it??!!
So after this revelation I started researching as to what pumpkin spiced actually is and discovered it is a blend of warming spices, which got me thinking ‘what else could be pumpkin spiced’?
CAKE OF COURSE!
So today I’m sharing my tried and tested (many times now as they are DELICIOUS) cupcake recipe.
I was ably assisted in the kitchen by No.4 for this batch and as you can see it’s a perfect way to get children baking during the October half term too.
For the cakes
175g Unsalted Butter
175g Caster Sugar
175g Self Raising Flour
175g Eggs (approx. 4 medium eggs)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
¼ tsp Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
For the icing
175g Unsalted Butter
350g Icing Sugar
½ tbsp Salted Caramel Flavouring
- Place your butter in a large bowl and add the caster sugar.
- Cream together at medium speed.
- Add your eggs and continue to blend.
I weigh my eggs but you don’t have to an approx. guide is 1 medium egg is 50g.
- Weigh out your flour and add the spices, stir well so they are evenly mixed in.
- We used Sainsburys ground spices.
- Then gradually add the flour & spice mix to your cake batter
- I put a few grains of rice in my muffin trays to stop the cases getting greasy.
- Fill your cases about 2/3rd up and bake at 140 for 15 mins until they are golden.
- To make your icing whisk together your softened butter with your icing sugar and add your flavouring. We used Tesco salted caramel flavouring.
- Its much easier to fill your piping bag if you stand it in a cup or glass. #toptip
- When your cakes are cool swirl some buttercream icing on the top. A Wilton 2D or 1M tip is perfect.
- Add your sprinkles. We love these Cake Angels Zillionaire ones.
- Enjoy your pumpkin-less pumpkin spiced cupcakes! 😊